[Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 25 01:44:06 MDT 2010

Correct, and I've even heard of plastic radiators.  Doesn't matter how
inefficient at heat transfer a radiator gets (is aluminium better or worse
than brass?  Surely worse than copper?), as long as the designers of the
*overall* system make it big enough and there is enough air forced through
it as in modern cars.  But I agree with the view that the 4-cylinder MGB in
particular needs no mods if everything works as it should.  If a particular
car has a cooling problem, then there is a fault in it that needs
correcting.  I used to worry about my V8 even in the UK, having seen it on
the border of the red (but still no coolant loss).  After the header tank
seam split twice I replaced it, and did opt for an uprated rad, but was very
disappointed with the results.  Since I went through the electrical
connections for the fans cleaning them up as well as beefing them up, I've
never had cause for concern.  I've had it on test at nearly 40C and the
needle only got 2/3rds the way from N to H.