[Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?

WSpohn4 at aol.com WSpohn4 at aol.com
Tue Aug 24 17:01:50 MDT 2010

I have to disagree with this, Barrie.

Aluminum is cheaper in terms of material cost, but it does not shed the
same heat as a copper/brass core will. If you get better results with the
aluminum radiator, it is because it has a bigger or better designed core, or it
 is simply new and had better flow than your old one you tossed out.

I like them for weight considerations in race cars, but in terms of
shedding heat the copper is simply better.  The tubes in a copper core are
smaller as the material isn't as stiff and would swell if large tubes were made,
and so the larger tube alloy rads clog less easily.

The clamped tank alloy rads are garbage and often leak at which point you
throw them away.  Always buy bonded core/tanks, whichever way you go.

If you made identical thickness cores with exactly the same size tubes and
fins per inch, the copper core will shed more heat. To get the same cooling
 capacity of an aluminum radiator you need a copper radiator with 15%
smaller  size - which because it is smaller will also be 7% lighter.  What
usually  happens is that with the same size radiator, the alloy rad is lighter but
 doesn't cool quite as well, so you opt for a thicker core to make up for
that.

Bill

In a message dated 8/24/2010 3:39:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,