[Mgs] MGA Clutch recommendations

J. F. Juhas james.f.juhas at snet.net
Sat Aug 7 09:54:30 MDT 2010

I have been having considerable difficulty with the clutch(s) in my MGA
with a lightly modified 1622 engine.  Lots of slipping issues.  Without
going into the considerable history of what I have done in attempts to
remedy it, what are you all using in your MGAs?  The choices I know of
are 1) stock or heavy duty standard MGA clutch & PP; 2) Twin Cam
pressure plate; 3) MGB pressure plate with some choice of MGA disc; 4)
uprated MGA pressure plate, as in more clamping force; 5) choices of
clutch disk material.  I have now tried the stock-type clutch faces,
kevlar and ceramic.

I have had oiling problems (from the engine rear scroll seal) but my
engine shop is convinced that the amount of oil that I have shown him
would not be enough to make a conventional clutch slip.

So, what combinations have you all found work for you?  I recognize that
I may have some other issue somewhere but I hope this advice might help
me to eliminate the materials as a variable.