[Mgs] MGA spin-on oil filter

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 02:23:09 MDT 2010

As far as recommendations go I gave up on Fram PH2857A for my MGB as I found
they drained back and gave a long pressure rise time, worse than any other
filter I tried.  The Volvo 3517857-3 is the best out of several I have tried
for that, but 2 out of 3 have had the rubber seal twist up on fitting and
shot a jet of oil out on first start up before sealing themselves, this is
with less than half a turn of tightening after the seal makes contact, when
other filters recommend 3/4.  Comparing the diameter of the seal ring it
*is* slightly smaller than book recommended filters, whether this is
something to do with it I don't know.  Te canister is also shorter, so on
the face of it less filtration material, but when peering inside clean
filters that seems to be more to do with the design of the internal bypass
valve, the length of the filtration cartridge seems to be very similar at
2.57" compared to 2.785" for a Champion, whereas the external heights are
3.25" and 4" respectively.  I haven't sectioned any though.  If you have the
anti-drainback tube fitted to the filter head the internal depth of the
filter *must* exceed this by at least half an inch, some filters are too
short and screw down onto the end of the tube which results in zero oil
pressure on startup.  But if it's a hanging spin-on, then probably little of
the above applies.