[Mgs] losing a wheel

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 30 11:07:23 MDT 2010

Last year on the Pullover Rally a fellow lost the wheel on his Fiat 850
spider. He was trailering the car in from Reno, and was delayed overnight
when the trailer lost a wheel bearing. That repaired, he intercepted the
rally route mid-course, rolled the Fiat off the trailer, and within half a
mile lost a wheel. Upon closer inspection this was not surprising -- the
other front wheel had only three nuts, two of which were incorrect -- they
were the closed-end type and were not deep enough to seat the wheel even
when they bottomed-out on the stud. A search along the road turned up the
other wheel and one more nut. But only one stud on that side had enough
thread left to accept a nut at all. Needless to say it went back on the
trailer.

The moral of this story is, always check your nuts.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149