[Mgs] losing a wheel

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Fri Apr 30 08:43:03 MDT 2010

So last Sunday I took a 200 mile drive or so, which was mostly just a hoot.

http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/gpsfiles/map2.php?year=2010&file=10.04.25

However, the portion of the trip between Cottonwood and Culdesac was rather
less enjoyable.  I lost a wheel.  Those stories you hear about seeing your own
wheel pass you as you go down the road... yeah, been there.  Fortunately, it
was a rear wheel.

I did eventually find the wheel, which is (just) serviceable and needs to be
replaced, but I got home with no additional troubles.

I last looked at the wheel nuts in November, shortly after I put the wheels
back on the car.  Nobody else has touched them, discounting saboteurs.  When I
checked along the road, all 3 remaining wheels where more loose than I'd
expect.  They're all plenty tight now!

I'm using the 15x5.5" KN minilite replicas (Moss 456-045 ?), which IIRC don't
have hardened seats.  Is that a potential factor?

The wheel as it sits on the car now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronwhiteman/4552913701/

--
Aaron Whiteman