[Mgs] [MG-MGB] latch problem

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Sat Apr 24 09:12:02 MDT 2010

I guess I should have put the bolt-through plate in position in the
picture to demonstrate more. Close look at the picture will show its
relative position which will indicate more about the height difference
of the loop piece that I was alluding to. I may just have the plate
welded back on if I cannot find a readily available replacement. I'll be
heading to Oregon (NW USA) in a few days where my son can probably weld
it plus I will be not too far from a British car salvage yard that may
have something similar. The trunk lid looks normal and the seal is old
but not brittle enough to motivate me to replace it yet.

My 72B has a new seal and latching was never a problem - unlatching was
though. I had to fix that using shims to push the latch inwards a bit
more (or at least it seems to be fixed). Plus I did the trick where I
drilled a 1/8" hole, covered by the latching mechanism which allows me
to manually push the latch if necessary using a small pin.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B