[Mgs] Random musings

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Wed Apr 14 20:50:35 MDT 2010

Poor Paul, he makes a simple mistake with the correct usage of 'their'
and in
a moment of mirth I basically hang a grammatical albatross around his neck.
I'll have to make it up to him and offer a year's free subscription to
any and all
of the Team.Net lists he desires.

Sure, I'm a fairly well educated sort of fellow, and I don't like it
when folks
use 'lite' and 'nite' as if they were real words.  I get annoyed when people
abbreviate, say, 1966 as 66' instead of doing it properly.  Or when I hear
folks pronounce 'marque' as mar-key.  And don't forget 'site' and 'sight'
or the correct usage of 'between' and 'among'  - there are plenty of nits
ripe for the picking.  And we all know English is a strictly structured
language and there is no difference in usage in New Delhi, Brisbane,
Boston, Glasgow or Liverpool - it is all the same, right?

This off topic discussion, though, does strike a resonant chord that
hearkens
back to the early days of Team.Net.  There used to be the British car
list and
the autocross list.  Folks would subscribe to the SOL ( Scions of Lucas) and
get annoyed.  Some MG people wanted less Triumph talk.  Some Healey people
didn't want to hear about either.  Some folks wanted to offer
discussions about
odds and ends that were not strictly car related.

The thing to do seemed to be spawning off lists that were more focused.
Those
that wanted only Spridget discussion could subscribe to just the
spridget list.
Those that wanted to be part of a broader focus could stay subscribed to the
"main" British car list and subscribe to spridgets, as well as triumphs
and mgs.
If so inclined, check out the thread at:

http://www.team.net/mharc/archives/html/british-cars/2010-04/msg00007.html

In the long run, has it been good or bad for Team.Net?

At any rate, enough rambling for now, I'll just sip my wine and be quiet.

mjb.