[Mgs] Draining Radiator

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 11:40:58 MDT 2009

On my two earlier cars without petcocks, I would loosen the lower hose
clamp and work a short rod in between the hose and the tube allowing you
to decant the fluid into a container.

While you've got it all empty and working the water pump, you can remove
  the radiator and install a drain. The rad in my '67 was toast so I
took the core from the '67 and the frame from the '69, combined them,
drilled a hole in the bottom, and JB Welded a suitable nut to it (a
flanged brass nut with pipe thread is best, but anything will work with
a little teflon), went to NAPA and got a draincock to fit. Works like a
charm. No leaks.

Unless, of course, originality is important.

Glenn