[Mgs] Heater valve

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sat Oct 31 20:52:06 MST 2009

Absolutely yes.  The Service Parts List shows the cylinder head with
a blanking plate using lockwashers and hex hed scerws, 1/4-28-UNF x
1/2" long.  The flange on the heater valve is thicker than the
blanking plate, so 1/2" long screws are not long enough to secure the
valve.  Unfortunately the SPL does not call out the screws used when
the heater is installed.

The tapped holes are not very deep in the head, so it is a bit tricky
to get screws the right length for this job.  I used to measure
carefully, then cut screws to the exact length needed.  With more
experience I found it is easier to use threaded studs with lock
washers and hex nuts.  You can make your own threaded studs starting
with a long 1/4-28-UNF screw.  If necessary, cut the threads farther
along the shank before you cut the head off.  Then cut it off to make
a 1/4-28-UNF x 1" long stud (2 pieces).  When in doubt, make it 1/8
inch longer.  Works a treat.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com