[Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?

Eric Erickson eric at erickson.on.net
Tue Mar 10 17:39:28 MST 2009

Matt Trebelhorn wrote:

> I would put it down to the first half of my comment -- I suggested
> that it might be incredibly hard to do, but you work you car, well,
> incredibly hard!  And more power to you.

Thank you - that is one of the best wishes a person could offer.   :-)

> Between the two of us, we have a couple of data points that start to
> answer the original question.
>
> I get no boil-over when lapping at 95F, with a redline of ~6400; or
> cruising at 110F.
> Eric gets boil-over when racing at 110F+, with a redline of 7000.
OK, so being on the track in 110F+ temps only happens once or twice a
year, and it would only see 6500+ revs momentarily, but I needed to show
that even a decently maintained car might drop some fluid.  :-)

> So somewhere in there is a threshold -- where we might agree that a
> good car, used hard enough, will boil over.

Still she has behaved worse in slightly lower temperatures and I would
guess that was a fault somewhere and not the norm.  When it gets to the
stage that the temp needle tries to break into the oil pressure, I still
manage to ignore it and get that last lap done and dusted.  She may
throw her water when I stop in the paddock but she is still good to go
again within half an hour so is it really an issue.

Being used to seeing a bit of coolant on the ground I was amazed when I
let a young guy take my car for a spin on a very hot day and he and his
mates were horrified that she dropped a cupful of water when he brought
her back.  he thought he had broken something!

Now enough - I have an alloy radiator to fit (and maybe a huge overflow
tank just in case)!

Eric