[Mgs] wiper blades

Todd Mullins muses at cableone.net
Wed Jun 17 06:34:26 MDT 2009

dcouncill at msubillings.edu wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:38:52 -0600
> From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill at msubillings.edu>
> Subject: [Mgs] wiper blades
> To: <mgs at autox.team.net>
>
> Any suggestions on a good US source for 10" wiper blades? I suspect
> this
> is a size I will no longer find locally (Montana). Checking Moss, the
> prices are running about $16 each, more than twice what I would expect
> and I would need three. Northwest Imports has a pack of 3 for a more
> reasonable $21 but listed for 73-80 MGBs. I have a 1972 which
> apparently
> uses a style for 1969-1972, assuming I have the right wiper arms  (my
> 72B came in pieces including quite a few different wiper arms). Or
> is a
> 73 that different that I can't use them? Alternately, I could buy a
> larger wiper blade insert and cut it to fit, assuming width is
> consistent with blades.

To answer your original question, David, blades for all of the three-
wiper cars are functionally identical.  The only difference between
the 69-72 blades and the later ones is color - the early ones were
silver, with the later ones being black.  The arms used that same
color scheme, but again, are otherwise identical.

I purchased three from Moss earlier, "Tex" brand from England, with
the same reservations over price as you describe above.  I was
pleasantly surprised at the quality of the items, and was particularly
pleased with one little feature - the rubber of the blade has little
"nubs" that extend over the edges of the clips; the parts that usually
wind up scraping and scratching up your windshield if the blade
becomes old and brittle.  Nothing worse than scratching up an MGB
windshield, given the effort involved in the job!

-todd
muses at cableone.net
'74 MGB being resurrected