[Mgs] BL lost $2000 on every MG sold in the US

Jack Feldman qualitas.jack at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 05:10:03 MDT 2009

Simon,

Bad news, Timothy R. Whisler (where did he lose that "t"?) was an academic,
and the study was part of a series of sociological studies published by the
University of Illinois Press. I just checked Amazon, and there is one copy
of the book, used at over $900! BTW, Amazon lists a publisher other then
UIP, but that was the publisher listed in the copy I borrowed.

If you Google him you will find that he has published a number of books on
the British car industry. Sorry for not quoting his full name.

Perhaps there were other factors, but Whisler makes it plain that the
treatment of the union workers was a factor in the decline of the industry.
Part of the larger arrogance of the men who started it at the turn of the
20th century. Derek Robinson, unfairly dubbed Red Robbo* *by the tabloid
press, was striking to protest mismanagement, Again, the workers new their
job, and aragant management wouldn't allow them a seat at the table.

Glad to see someone else interested in what happened to an industry that
could have been better.

Jack