[Mgs] Brake frustrations

Richard Gosling rbgosling at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 14 01:46:47 MDT 2009

"I put those SpeedBleeder valves in to make bleeding easier, but after all
the pedal pumping this time around, I'm ready for something more automated."

I love SpeedBleeders, but one failing is that they don't work too well if
there is significant air in the system.  It takes a certain amount of
pressure to open the little valve inside them, and if you have a lot of air
then a peddle press isn't enough to build that pressure and open the valve -
so you press the peddle, but little, if any, air is pumped out.

For similar reasons, just loosening the SpeedBleeder and letting gravity do
the work is totally ineffective.  But that should work if you remove the
Speedbleeder completely.

Options that I can see are:
Get an Eezibleed, as already suggested
Revert to conventional bleed nipples and the standard two-man method, until
the bulk of the air is expelled
Remove the SpeedBleeder nipple completely from the slave cylinder and let
gravity do it's thing - but this will result in brake fluid dribbling over
your hub.

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT, currently with her front suspension
upright on my work-bench being re-built, 'cos the MOT man said my steering
was too stiff)