[Mgs] Brake frustrations

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Mon Jul 13 11:02:57 MDT 2009

I had a hell of a time getting the rear brakes to bleed on my 72B. It
turned out I had a small pinhole on the metal tube that runs over the
rear axle. It didn't leak (just a seep around the hole) but it pulled in
air.

What I ended up doing was backtracking the lines to see where there was
brake fluid. There are a lot of areas where you could have a plug or a
leak (fluid and/or air). On my 72B, there is a place in the rear of the
car where the metal tube from the master cylinder ends in a rubber tube
which joins that tube to the tubes that feed both rear lines. I took
that apart to see if brake fluid came out there and then worked my way
back. I hope that makes sense. You could have a collapsed brake line or
a plug. Maybe even a problem still with the master cylinder. Or the
wheel cylinders have a leak pulling air into the system.

You just need to check the system/lines at certain points to see where
the fluid flows and where it does not.

I also now use an Eezi-Bleed system so I don't have to rely on a helper.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
73 B