[Mgs] Brake frustrations

Keith G. kger.mg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:50:08 MDT 2009

So my '79 B is sitting up on jackstands while a summer marches on.  I'm
frustrated with the brakes, being unable to get fluid to the rear bleed
valves.

The background is this:  I finally got around to replacing the rear brake
cylinders, as one was leaking.  After getting that done, I was able to bleed
the brakes to get good pressure in the pedal and good, clear fluid coming
out of each valve.  Feeling good about that, I moved on to other matters
that needed tending to.

The next time I tried he brake pedal, it went to the floor.  Any subsequent
bleed attempts have failed.  I can get great pressure to the fronts, but
nothing good is happening at the rear.  A replacement master cylinder helped
only the depletion of my dollars.  Someone I talked to suggested I just
remove the valves and let gravity do its thing to see if any fluid leaks
out.  Well, not in this case.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  I want to get this thing back on the
road this summer if possible.  Our summers here in the upper American
midwest are entirely too short.