[Mgs] Oil Article

Eric Erickson eric at erickson.on.net
Thu Jan 15 01:36:43 MST 2009

Murray Arundell wrote:
> Last year I bought a new Benz.  First service and oil change is 18,000km.

I thought this schedule was kewl (in an off-putting sort of way)...

-Add a break-in additive to oil
-Start engine and run at 2,500 rpm for 20-30 minutes with old (i.e. worn
out) outer valve springs only
-Change the oil and filter, and re-add break in additive
-Start engine and run at 2,500 rpm for 20-30 minutes with NEW outer
valve springs only
-Change the oil and filter, and re-add break in additive
-Start engine and run at 2,500 rpm for 20-30 minutes with full set of
new valve springs
-Change the oil and filter and drive it like you stole it

I usually have the rebuilt engine in my car on Saturday.  "Run it in" by
driving it to the track (45 minutes) Sunday morning and then thrash it
around the racetrack in competition with my mechanic wringing his hands
and saying "you really should try to keep it at or under 5000 revs for
today" - each time I come off the track!

Never had a problem :-)

Eric
Adelaide, South Australia