[Mgs] Common Language

Larry Daniels ladaniels at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 07:01:18 MST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Gosling" <rbgosling at googlemail.com>

As for Beaulieu (Bee-oo-lee), that is one of several examples of a name that
was originally French, but has been in place in England for so long that the
pronounciation has been Anglicised, and has evolved (and no doubt the French
pronounciation too has changed a bit) over the centuries to become
unrecognisable.  But, like the others, if you didn't already know there is
no way you could possibly guess...

Richard & Sammy ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

Richard, we Yanks can't expect you Brits to pronounce words correctly when
you can't spell them correctly.  "Unrecognizable" has a "z" not an "s".  And
"tire" does not have a "y" in it.  I could go on, but you get the idea.  It
took us leaving you to get this spelling thing straightened out.  ;-))

Larry Daniels

(With tongue firmly in cheek.)