[Mgs] water pump

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 07:52:37 MST 2009

By coincidence I came back from holiday to find this as well as the latest
MGOC mag.  "So what?" you may ask.  In it there is an ad for electric cooling
fans for MGBs that didn't originally have them.  There is one for 62 to 70
cars with long-nose pumps that fits in front of the rad, and another for 70 to
76 cars with short-nose pumps that fits behind the rad.  But this doesn't
match up with change points in either Clausager or the Parts Catalogue.  There
was a change of pump on late 18GB engines (interchangeable with earlier) which
was used for the remainder of 18G engines, then a new pump for the 18V in Aug
71 which didn't change until Jan 74.  But a friends 72 has a long-nose with a
deep pulley and no fan spacer, whereas my 73 has a short-nose with shallow
pulley and fan spacer.  They are both 18V582s.

As far as pulleys go the air pump and hence the need for a second groove
arrived in 1968 of course, and according to the MGOC the long-nose was
*earlier* than the short nose.

  The pulley was a dual pulley for the air pump and alternator. Thus
  the shaft had to be extended to accommodate the larger pulley. Perhaps
  an inch or so. The change occurred around 1971 or 1972.