[Mgs] water pump

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Feb 4 07:37:49 MST 2009

Oliver,
   Expect definitive info from others; all I can offer is puzzling
experience.  Each of my MGBs has had mix&match waterpumps, spacers &
fans.  All these can be swapped around and, unless you know the engine is
as built, you will have to check carefully what you have.
   Given the choice, the late plastic fan moves the most air with least
horsepower consumption.  They were OS everywhere when I rebuilt, so I
re-used the metal seven blade fan. New waterpump, ordered for my 18V, was
different from old waterpump that I had thought was the right one. Maybe
it was, or maybe the supplier shipped the wrong pump.  I wanted to trim
off one of the grooves from the pulley anyway, as I removed the air pump
and modified the thermostat housing by grinding off the air pump support,
so ended up making a shim to fit inside the fan pulley to move belt
groove back in line with crankshaft and alternator groove.  It's about
1/4" thick, made from a scrap I had around the garage, and I don't even
remember now if it's aluminium or steel.
   I also believe that there were different pulleys, single groove and
double groove, but the configuration of the double groove pulleys may
have varied.  Don't know this for certain, but it seems most everyone who
has a car that has been through a number of owners has to sort out this
pulley, pump, spacer problem.
   Just give yourself time to sort this out before you need to drive the
car to get somewhere important. These water pump/fan/alternator issues
may be clear in the textbooks, but they are far from clear out in our
garages.
Bob

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:11:40 -0600 "oliver" <sumton at sbcglobal.net> writes:
> qs - is the pulley shaft on the water pump for the earlier cars (pre
> smog)  shorter?
  Yes, there were both a short snout and a long snout pump.

so the pulley sits closer to the block?  - --  maybe, but check it for
groove alignment and clearance off the waterpump.