[Mgs] oil filter

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Dec 16 12:50:19 MST 2009

  That's an insidious problem with oil filters.  Unless it leaks or
bursts one does not know of a problem and, with respect to filtration,
one does not know how effectively it is doing its job until an engine
tear-down.
   Once upon a time, Fram reps would cut apart filters at tech sessions
to demonstrate how theirs were superior to others. Circa 1974, I worked
for a warehouse distributor of auto parts. The Fram reps and Penzoil reps
presented these sessions frequently.Pennzoil would use electric drills to
spin steel rods into depressions on a steel plate, and squirt in their
oil and others. They made a big point that parafinnic (sp?) oils were far
better lubricants than asphaltic. We wondered, since Nascar cars were
using Texaco asphaltic base oils, but it was a good demo with hot steel,
smoke and oil smells.  The Gates belt reps would shred belts for
show&tell also. The Gates reps lost some credibility when they introduced
an all-plastic wiper blade that worked fine until temps fell to 20 or so,
whereupon it was so stiff that it would not wipe a curved windshield.

Bob