[Mgs] Excessive Voltage?

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Thu Aug 6 18:37:23 MDT 2009

At 05:13 PM 8/6/2009 -0400, Steve Hughes <Daybell7 at aol.com> wrote:
>I've installed a generic ballast resister in my ignition circuit

Why?  What kind of car, and what model year?  MGB had a ballast
resistor standard from 1974-1/2 to 1980, earlier cars not.  Ballast
resistor must be mated with ballast type coil, both or neither
installed, not one by itself.

Standard coil is about 3.2 ohme resistance in the primary
winding.  Ballasted coil is about 1.6 ohms plus ballast resistor of
1.6 ohms in series to make same 3.2 ohms total.

>and voltage is correct while the car is not running: 12+ volts & 6  volts.

Where are you measuring the 6v?

With ballast resistor and ballast type coil installed, and with
ground circuit through distributor closed (equivalent to points
closed), you should have 6v between the resistor and coil.  With
ground circuit through distributor open (equivalent to points open),
you should have 12v between the resistor and coil.

>When the car is running, I measure 13+ volts on the ignition side of
>the resister

Good.

>and 11+ on the coil side and at the coil.

Bad.

>Is this  correct?

The voltage reading is not correct, but there may be nothing wrong
with the car.  While running the voltage between ballast resistor and
coil is constantly changing from about 14 volts (system voltage) to
about 7 volts (half system voltage).  When ground curcuit opens
(solid state ignition equivalent to points opening) the coil primary
circuit is subject to a momentary high voltage spike (up to 300
volts) and high frequency "ringing".  This erratic voltage
fluctuation in the coil primary will confuse a digital volt
meter.  An analog volt meter should show about 7v at the coil while
running (maybe, depending on design of the meter).

>Also, does the voltage regulator affect the operating voltage of the
>car generally, or just the charging system?

The regulator controls voltage output of the alternator (or generator
on earlier cars).  Alternator output is intimately connected to the
battery cable, so system voltage goes with alternator output voltage.

>I thought voltage throughout the car should not exceed
>battery  voltage, i.e. 12.6V.

Nope.  Alternator output may be in the 14-14.5v range when running,
and so goes the rest of the electrical system.  Open circuit voltage
for a fully charged battery in good contition is 12.6v.  When
discharging (lights on and engine not running) the voltage will go a
bit lower (around 11.5-12.2v).  When running and charging the system
voltage will be higher (13.0-14.5v depending somewhat on where in the
system you test it).  Checking voltage near the coil when running
using a digital meter can give false readings.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com