[Mgs] [Mgb-v8] Castrol GTX 20-50W for Classics

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 24 01:57:01 MDT 2008

There are Castrol versions of conventional oils around, and part synthetics I
think, for 'high mileage vehicles' -
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=82915476&contentI
d=7034438 for example. It's not that synthetic per se is bad for classics,
just very expensive for little gain in engines that might have done 100k or
more.  The actual viscosity of 'high mileage' varies from country to country,
in the UK whatever the formulation the highest available is 15W/40, down from
15W/50 a few years ago, up from 20W/50 originally.

It's the very low viscosity oils (of whatever formulation) intended for modern
close-tolerance engines that could do more harm than good, see this note from
Castrol about 5W/30 A1: "NOTE: 5W-30 oil is only suitable for cars that can
use an ACEA A1/B1 fuel efficient product. Please consult the vehicle handbook
to confirm the oils suitability."

  I understood that there is Castrol GTX 20-50w for Classic Cars now
  available.  I can only find Castrol SYNTEX for classic cars and I am
  under the impression that synthetic is not good for our classics?