[Mgs] On-Going Issues

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Sep 19 02:11:56 MDT 2008

2.  *In theory* if the hose between manifold and servo is split it will be
leaking air all the time, not just when the brake pedal is pushed.  That
implies a leak inside the servo, like the diaphragm which is flexed when the
pedal is operated.

The fuel pump sounds to me like a chattering SU that doesn't have any fuel in
it, but I'm not even sure if it *is* an SU from that angle and I'm unfamiliar
with other types of pump.

I can't think of anything normally behind the dash that would cause a flash,
unless one of the bulbs has fallen out of its holder.  There are no high
voltages to arc across, which only leaves a momentary (as there was no
apparent smoke or burning) short between a live wire and a ground.  That's the
most concerning, as if it *was* the cause and you can't find it soon it is
quite likely to happen again but next time short for longer which will burn
wires.  Fit a battery cut-off switch where you can reach it from the drivers
seat now!  Apart from that I'd gingerly turn on the ignition and crank again,
but this time while peering under the dash to see what is happening.  If you
don't have a cut-off switch then have everything handy to whip the ground
strap off the battery, as that will be the only thing stopping the car going
up in smoke if it is a brown wire shorting.

  2) When the car did run, in preparation for a run around the block, I
stepped on the brake pedal and the engine died. I'm assuming
       a vacuum leak and in fact there appears to be a small crack oin the
vacuum hose from the brake booster to the manifold.