[Mgs] Fw: Re: Mode of failure for ignition coil

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 15:59:48 MDT 2008

--- On Sun, 9/14/08, Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> If flicking the points open shows no spark then either the
> condenser *is* shorted, or there is no 12v feed through the
> coil.

My understanding is that in a circuit like this, the condenser
is there to prevent arcing at the contacts.  The condenser takes
over the load from the air gap.  I was looking at this in
bright daylight, so if there was a small spark I would not have
seen it.

> If you really did measure the coil primary as a
> dead short, and not simply too low a resistance for the
> meter,

Barney mentioned this as well.  I'll need to measure it
again with an electronic meter.  It very well could have
been just very low resistance.

> But if a rubber bumper...

Definitely chrome bumper.  I don't think there were
any rubber bumper MGAs.  :-)