[Mgs] Mode of failure for ignition coil

Simon Matthews simon.d.matthews at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 23:36:03 MDT 2008

Barney,

When I worked at Lucas (some 30 years ago), I was told that the spec
for winding the secondary of ignition coils allowed two or three
breaks, with the ends just twisted together. This could lead to a
secondary winding that would measure as open circuit when tested with
a meter, but able to conduct current perfectly well when there is 30KV
available. At the point that the wires were twisted together, it will
only take ~100 V to break down the insulation after which current will
flow.

I realize that this makes investigating possible failed ignition coils
rather more difficult.

Regards,
Simon