[Mgs] Mode of failure for ignition coil

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 18:01:36 MDT 2008

I was heading out for an MG club event this morning
(beautiful indian summer here in the Pacific Northwest)
and I got about 200 feet up the driveway and the engine
just died.  No warning, just stopped like you'd turned
off the key.  No spark. I'm suspecting it's the coil
because there is no spark when you separate the
points (indicating a shorted condenser, yes?), there
is pulsed 12V going into the low-voltage winding, and
nothing coming out of the high voltage winding.  The
high voltage side reads 9K Ohms and the low voltage
side reads dead short.  Is it common for a coil to
just "up and die" this way with no warning?  It's a
Lucas DLB-101.  Thanks for any tips.

David Breneman         david_breneman at yahoo.com