[Mgs] back on the road

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Fri May 16 15:23:39 MDT 2008

About a month ago, I posted a question to the list which was not fully
answered at the time. But I was looking to replace the CD player in my
72B as it tended to malfunction during hot days. I was looking ideally
with something that not only fit but could take input from an iPod or a
mp3 player. One person suggested Crutchfield but I couldn't find
anything definitive there. I was hoping for some real experience where
someone said they successfully installed a specific readily available cd
player.

I researched some on the Internet, procrastinated a few weeks, then Paul
Root posted an email (below). I went ahead and ordered the same model
JVC from Newegg and it is a good fit and is working great so far. During
my research, I found the typical in dash cd player is 7" wide, 2" high,
and 7" deep. What we need at least in the plastic dash/console models of
the 1970s is something closer to a depth of 6". My Clarion was a shorter
depth and the JVC model was also the same depth. Sometimes you can get
the measurements before buying. I couldn't find the stats on the JVC but
took Paul's word on it and tried it. I just have to figure out some of
its many features.

It still is a tight fit. It does press against the defrost hoses and
will make checking my transmission oil a bit difficult though.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B