[Mgs] MG TD Low Oil Pressure on Fresh Rebuild

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Tue Mar 25 07:48:15 MST 2008

Rob,
   The workshop manual mentions use of a restrictor in cases of excessive
oil consumption, but it is a restrictor fitted into the air cleaner
engine breather pipe.
   It is possible that the low oil pressure and the excessive oil in the
rocker area are related.  If the bushings on the rockers are looser than
specified, oil will flow from the rockers faster than intended and will
lower pressure at the gauge.  Was the rocker shaft measured or replaced
during the rebuilding? Were the bushings replaced? Fitted to the shaft?
You can jiggle the rockers with your fingers. If you feel sideways
movement/wobble, that can be addressed.
   That the pressure is 38 lbs constant regardless of RPM could indicate
that the pump is pumping great at idle, but not developing full pressure
at higher RPM or that the relief spring is relieving early.  According to
the handbook,  "a pressure between 25 and 40 lb is shown under normal
running condtions", though most owners these days do look for higher
pressures.  One would expect a newly rebuilt engine to show more than 38
though, unless filled with a thin or hot oil.
  Another thing to check is that the gauge is reading accurately. Try
substituting another gauge to confirm the pressure.
Bob