[Mgs] Project 74.5, valve guide options

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 18 10:49:41 MST 2008

In the past, I have had machinists explain this choice as follows:

Knurling is a temporary solution to keep the car on the road at minimal
expense. It will more or less rapidly wear and resume doing whatever it was
doing before (leaking oil through the guides, etc.). One way to describe the
process is that it deforms the iron around the hole to reduce the
clearances.

Bronze guides are a more permanent fix. This involves inserting a new guide
with the proper tolerance. Bronze, like cast iron, is softer than the valve
stem material. Bronze also has some self-lubricating properties, I believe.

I have had both done at various times on various vehicles.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149