[Mgs] 123 ignition

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 18 06:17:51 MST 2008

The original mechanical curves are no different to the 123 MGB curves i.e.
they are both irrelevant with today's fuels.  The difference is the 123 is a
lot more expensive than a decent mechanical rebuild - what I can get in the
UK at any rate.  The advantage of mechanical over 123 is that with the
mechanical if you really wanted to you could tune the curve to match your
engine and fuel.  With the 123 you are limited to going through 16 arbitrary
(if you use the non-MGB version) curves to determine which is best for you.
Whilst some are bound to be better than others one is unlikely to end up
with an ideal one.  My caution with any electronics, be it the full 123 or
just an electronic trigger, is that when they fail they usually do so
totally and without warning, and you have no option but to substitute.  With
points they usually drift rather than fail, are pence to carry around as a
spare, and can be swapped easily at the roadside.  Many moan about problems
with points, but I've been using them for 40 years and never had a failure
of them or a condenser.  I am planning to change both my roadster and V8
points this year, after many years and some 15k miles each.  I've not had to
touch the roadster points in all that time, and the V8 have only needed one
small tweak to get the dwell back into the window, as they only have plus or
minus one degree tolerance whereas the roadster is plus or minus five
degrees.  I realise I am unlikely to convert anyone who has gone electronic
of any type.  But those contemplating going electronic could do well to
consider that whilst replacing a knackered mechanical item with a new
electronic *is* likely to make a noticeable difference, so would replacing
it with a sound mechanical unit, and usually at a fraction of the cost.

My 2 penn'orth, and you did ask :o)