[Mgs] OT Australia Eight hours day

Larry Daniels ladaniels at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 18:34:37 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rolindsay at yahoo.com>

As for being hot, I had a really terrible episode at
the US race last summer.  Air temp was about 95
degrees F and the track temp was about 20 degrees over
that.  In the pits we stand all day on the tarmac, not
the comfee corner posts of OZ. :-P  I got dehydrated
this past year and all-but collapsed.  I ended up
setting out much of race day.  Fortunately, I was
working the pit-in flag station on COMS and flags.
Thought you'd like that.

==================

Ah, Rick, that brought back some memories.

I had a race back in the early 90's where the track temp was 135 F; I don't
recall the air temp.  I was driving a formula style car which is like
sliding into a cigar tube.  The car was black and the firesuit is like
wearing a snowmobile suit -- hot as hell.  I remember the last lap as being
a question of wondering if I could last without passing out.  Scared the
heck out of me.

I guess I didn't consider that the workers were experiencing nearly the same
conditions.  I just recall pulling into pit lane after the checker, getting
pulled out of the car and being so thankful that a worker poured cold water
down my suit.  I couldn't take the checkered flag for the victory lap and my
mechanic had to drive the car back to the paddock.

Can you believe that every once in a while I miss that?

Larry Daniels