[Mgs] MG practicality

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Fri Jun 27 09:30:15 MDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 8:23 AM, don at napanet.net wrote:

> I love MGs but they are totally impractical!

I completely disagree!  The MG is cheap, reliable (if sorted), gets
good mileage, and at least in my case is paid for.  It's larger
inside than the Miata and significantly less expensive than the S2000
(even when buying "overpriced" restorations).

> I do drive a Miata and a Honda.
> Modern driving in much of the US is a war zone comprised of bad
> pavement, very
> aggressive drivers, congested roads, traffic going 90 mph one
> minute, stopped
> the next.  Driving an old MG in these conditions is just not
> pleasant or
> practical.

For 6 years, my car had a disconnected brake booster, and I could
stop well enough to feel safe, because the brakes were otherwise
fine.  Last fall, I fixed the leaking booster seal, the brakes are
scary good now.  Driving is always a pleasure when I'm out in that
car.  Snow, rain, sun...  Even black ice was doable, if tense.  If my
MGB can handle Spokane roads (pothole capital of the northwest) and
Puget Sound traffic, then any decently sorted MGB could do it.

I only have a second car because there are moments where the MG isn't
practical.  When I go skiing with friends, it's nice to be able to
take them and their stuff.  When I go mountain biking, it's nice to
be able to carry the bikes and a friend to the trailhead.  When I go
camping, it's nice to be able to take all my stuff.

Is my Subaru more practical than my MG?  Maybe.  It gets better
mileage, can haul more stuff and more people, has more power, has All
Wheel Drive, Anti-lock brakes, airbags, and all the other modern
amenities of a car made just 2 years ago.  That's why I bought it.
On the other hand, I'm paying nearly $400 a month for that car,
driving about 6000 miles a year.  Economically, it's not practical.

If the weather is good, the MG is always more pleasant to drive,
hands down.  A new car doesn't make traffic more enjoyable.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
'75 B (at the painter), HIF4 carbs

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]