[Mgs] Fan and Engine Mounting

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 19 01:54:10 MDT 2008

Took me 17 years to notice my fan was the wrong way round.  When I tried to
fit it the right way round I realised why - the spacer was missing.  The boss
is offset but about the same distance as the thickness of the spacer.  Without
the spacer and the right way round the blades did indeed interfere with
things, but the wrong way round without the spacer the blades ended up about
the same distance from the radiator as they should be albeit working in a
slightly less efficient manner.  I got a spacer from a 2nd-had parts place,
and new bolts, but can't say I have noticed any difference (mind you it has
hardly been hot yet this year so far).

  On closer inspection, I can see that, without the spacer, the metal fan
  would interfere with the front belt, the pulley on my car having two belt
  grooves.