[Mgs] Run the MG on methane

Hans Duinhoven h.duinhoven at planet.nl
Wed Jun 18 11:51:06 MDT 2008

Well that's a thing, which is done regulary overhere.
This fuel is called LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas), which normally is a waste
product when the oil companies are producing normal gas and diesel fuel.
So this stuff is pretty cheap to produce and well distributed overhere in
the Netherlands and some other countries on the European continent. I have
had serious problems to find an LPG gas station in the UK in the late
eighties, but perhaps that has been changed.

I have seen many MG's running on LPG, mostly these were BGT's and the more
modern Z series.
It may well be, that some of the Magnette's may drive around with an LPG
tank.
Why is this fuel so interesting?
It is much cheaper than normal fuel, it has a high octane rating - even
higher than the 4 star ratings in the UK and it is quite clean compared with
normal petrol (UK) / gas (US).
In the eighties I've driven several cars on LPG and evertime I was surprised
how clean the oil stayed even after 10,000 miles.
For normal cars the road tax on LPG cars is the highest.
Overhere cars with an age over 25 years old do not have to pay any road tax,
as these cars are expected to drive a minimal distance per year.

Cheers,

Hans - '71 BGT not to have LPG - very low milage/year