[Mgs] Engine installation advice

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 10:42:00 MDT 2008

Listers,

Well, after two years, I'm finally ready to reinstall the engine and
transmission, to which I've added overdrive, into my '72 MGB. I have all the
shop manuals, hardcopy and CD, but wonder what the group experience might be
to ease installation. The engine is mated to the gearbox, by the way.

1. Should the motor mounts be affixed to either the engine or the car before
installing; or, neither, that is, wait until the engine is in position
before placing the mounts.

2. What's the easiest way to install the transmission mounts? To the
transmission? To the crossmember? Before or after everything's in position?

Aside: None of my books/manuals showed the positions of the reverse and
overdrive switches on the gearbox top cover. Nor did any indicate the
function of the 3rd switch to the right and rear on the top cover. Since
that one's "on" in any gear, I figure it must me some kind of "start"
interlock used on later cars. I don't really know the source of this
overdrive transmission. The large switch, forward right hand side, is for
the back up lights. The switch on the left is the overdrive interlock.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance.

Ed Woods