[Mgs] British 'Kit Cars' (Was: MG 1100 questions)

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 09:33:06 MDT 2008

--- On Sat, 7/12/08, arundell at ghs.com.au <arundell at ghs.com.au> wrote:

> Maybe not in 2008 but back in the 50s 60s & 70s you
> might have.

No, not then either.  Maybe before the early 20s, but no later.
That practice pretty much ended when the Dodge Brothers stopped
supplying parts to manufacturers and started making their
own cars.  I'm talking about the situation in the US here, YMMV
in Australia.

> Nonetheless I still maintain that a Kit Car is
> not the correct term as it refers to those cars that could
> ordered as a Kit and assembled at
> home, as per Lotus in the 60s for example.

I was using the phrase eupemistically.  I realize that it's
not the correct techical term for what happened.  Think of it
as a "term of art" used for dramatic effect. Better?