[Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 11:17:13 MST 2008

People still don't give a rip about gas milage in the US. Sure, there
are a few that will knee jerk buy a smaller car (truck) when gas
spikes, but 6 months later, they can't stand having something so small
(Ford 500) and trade it in for a full size pickup (true story). I
doubt the back of that pick up has seen anything other than a cooler
of beer.

Look at all the remote car starters and people leaving their car
idling when going in to the convenience shop. Many will even leave
their car running when filling the tank unless the person behind the
counter yells at them.

With my DD in the driveway and never seeing the garage, I thought
about a remote starter (for remote locks as much as anything). But I
ended up with a block heater and a heated seat pad instead.

On Jan 13, 2008, at 10:31 AM, Barney Gaylord wrote:

> Gasoline here was around $0.25/gallon in the 60's, sometimes cheaper
> during "gas wars".  It didn't hit $0.60/gallon until the oil shortage
> in the mid 70's.  With cheap fuel available the buyers were making
> the value judgement between saving perhaps $0.0015/mile on fuel cost
> or paying up font an additional 2% for the purchase price of the car.

Paul Root
ptrmgb at gmail.com
'77 MGB
'99 OBS