[Mgs] Overdrive Numbers

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sun Jan 13 09:31:02 MST 2008

At 03:23 PM 1/13/2008 +0000, Paul Hunt wrote:
>So why did so few North American cars have overdrive?

Price competition is a big thing in the USA, and I must admit the
public is somewhat gullible to pricing tricks.  If the base sticker
prrice is $50 more that a competitor vehicle, it's sort of screwed in
mass marketing.  So lots of features that may be standard equipment
in other parts of the world are separated out and listed as options here.

Gasoline here was around $0.25/gallon in the 60's, sometimes cheaper
during "gas wars".  It didn't hit $0.60/gallon until the oil shortage
in the mid 70's.  With cheap fuel available the buyers were making
the value judgement between saving perhaps $0.0015/mile on fuel cost
or paying up font an additional 2% for the purchase price of the car.

>And why did Canada and California have significantly more than the
>rest of the USA?

A little speculation:  In Canada fuel was a bit more expensive, and
public attitude and constructive pricing may have been
different.  California (with very little mass transit) may have a
larger proportion of long distance commuting for the average
resident.  Just a guess.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com