[Mgs] Miata Question

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 07:15:16 MST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 10:01 PM, Wilkmanracing at aol.com wrote:

> whythey bother buying this car >>>>>(same with the  BMW Z-series
> cars) if
> theydon't really enjoy the wind in their hair!
>
> I understand what you're saying.  I, too, prefer to drive top down
> and  I
> tend to scowl at those who seem never to have the top down.  But
> there is  a
> matter of reality that needs to be considered.  The tops on our
> British  classics
> are a royal pain in the ass to put up and down.  When my dad was
> using his
> MGA as a daily driver in the 1960s, the top went up in November and
> didn't come
> down until April. From April to November the top was always  down.
> The
> reason my dad's top never went down in the winter or up during  the
> rest of the
> year was because it was too much trouble to raise and  lower.  And,
> the reason I
> drive that same car today with the top always  down is...you guessed
> it....because it's too much of a pain to put up...that,  and because
> I only drive the
> car in fair weather.

The 'Bs top is a pain. When I was in college, during the summers, I
worked for a moving
company. And living in Kansas, you really never knew when it would
rain. So the
top went down, every morning for the drive, back up for parking. And
back down for the
trip home. Up for overnight.

The TR7 that I bought when I moved to California, had a wonderful top.
Easy up and down.
I bought a full cockpit cover for it, and rarely had the top up from
March through November.
I remember driving top down on Christmas Eve in '85.
I also remember sprinting out of my apartment when someone mentioned
it was raining. The
cover was good, but not San Diego February rain good.

> That said I almost always drove my 1990 MX5 with the top down.
> Why...because it was more fun that way!  I don't think things will
> change with the 2008
> MX5, but I do love the way the car looks with the top  up.

Now a days, I see Porsche Boxsters with the top up on a 70-75 degree
day at dusk.
Why did you buy a convertible if not to take the top down in
absolutely perfect weather?
Pushing that button and waiting 15 seconds is too hard?

I still drive top down when it hits 45-50 in April or early May. Half
the cover on, wearing a fleece,
gloves, and a hat. I get to work a little cold, but with a smile.
50-55 in October is getting too cold
for me though.

Paul Root
ptrmgb at gmail.com