[Mgs] No fuel pump click

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 17 03:00:27 MST 2008

Fuel pump should *always* click when turning on the ignition, maybe only
once or twice if it has only been off an hour or so.  If there was no fuel
it should be chattering away like billy-oh, likewise for a blocked suction
side.  A blocked pressure side should still click a couple of times, but
only if there is fuel in the system, if there is air in the pump ('cos it
has been standing a long time) it should still chatter.  Pump points oxidise
when not used, new pumps come with a slip of paper saying to clean the
points in the event of it not working before returning it as faulty. Even
though they are closed the oxidisation works between the contact surfaces to
insulate them.  Rapping the pump usually works with *spiked* points, which
is what happens after a lot of usage, but usually has no effect on
oxidisation.  Check you have 12v between the pump spade and the pump body to
make sure it isn't a bad connection one side or the other.  If that's OK
clean the points again with a strip of fine wet and dry pulling it back and
fore a few times, cleaning both sides.  Don't pull the paper out from
between the closed points though as that can leave fibres between them and
you will be no better off, carefully lift one contact up just enough to
remove the paper.  I've actually got the pump on a long-time stander working
by bridging the points with a screwdriver which got it moving, then after a
few clicks it was away on its own.  That was just to size up what was wrong
with the car, I did a 'proper job' on it later.  As yours has 'only' been
standing 7 months that may be all you need.