[Mgs] No fuel pump click

dave houser mgs4dave at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 16 14:44:34 MST 2008

Listers,
After finally replacing the oil pump gears after having my MGA sitting
atop the lift for about 7 months, I figured the gasket cement was dry
now and attempted starting my car today. Well, first I had to give it a
charge. After 1/2 hour, I turned the key, no click, click on fuel pump,
but the lights, radio,  and horn, ignition light  had power.
Since I had the battery cover off, I rapped the pump with a hammer
handle. Still no go. this is a first for me with this car. It ran fine
before I  turned it off to do the oil pump gears months earlier.
OK. pump points might need some cleaning so I do that and try to
restart. Nothing. Pump filter clogged?  Remove and check, clean as a
whistle. No fuel comes out. OK. Check carbs to make sure nothing
sticking in float bowls. they're free. Maybe time to replace pump. Take
new pump from trunk and install(will save you from the grief that job
entailed). Turn on key...NO CLICK!  Back to the fuse box. Poke at wires.
White wire falls loose from connector. YES! Could have saved myself from
replacing pump. re attach white wire, back inside, turn on
ignition.....NO CLICK! (So now I know old pump was probably OK)
So, what now? Car is obviously getting back at me for not doing oil pump
job in a more timelier manner having missed being on the road all that time.
Has a ground gone bad? Yes, I did check for gas and the gauge shows
1/4-3/8 tank. Gauge has always been accurate.
Ideas, recommendations?
Dave Houser