[Mgs] Top Gear BS

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Tue Dec 30 20:19:24 MST 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 7:02 PM, Larry Daniels wrote:

> It seems the Top Gear clowns have phonied up a test of a Tesla
> electric car.
> So much for the integrity of these jackasses and their BBC show.

To their defense, they were only showing that the problem with an
electric car isn't range.  It's recharge.  They could have done so
without the hysterics, but we are talking about *Top Gear* here.  They
consider 10MPG to be "economical".

My MG will only go 250 miles if I thrash it.  My Subaru can go a bit
further.  The Tesla can do 300 if you don't thrash it.

That's all well and good, but what happens at the end of that 300
miles.  I've not yet seen the episode, but a quick google indicates
that a recharge takes about 3.5 hours if you have industrial service
(220V, 80A), over a day on more mundane 110V.  It takes about 10
minutes to refill the tank on my dino-juice cars, if the pumps run slow.

This is important when you drive in Eastern Washington, the best
drives take all day and are well in excess of 300 miles.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pkcs7-signature which had a name of smime.p7s]