[Mgs] tranny Swaps

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 9 10:58:14 MST 2008

Hmm, when I had a similar situation, I pulled the engine and tranny
together, out the top. I have never raised the rear when doing so, though I
have been informed that it adds clearance. I usually have the front jacked
up so I can crawl underneath and detach things.

Anyway, same deal, installed an OD tranny and the OD didn't work. Pulled it,
had a shop go through the unit and reinstalled it, still no joy. Traded it
in on a rebuilt OD unit, installed that, finally worked. Basically pulled
and replaced the engine and tranny 3 times in 4 weeks. Got it down to a
one-day solo job. Cost more money than intended, but I really have
appreciated the OD over the years, so I encourage you to stick with it and
diagnose the problem.

Somewhere in there I think I demonstrated that it was theoretically possible
to remove the OD unit by itself from under the car, but in order to do so
you had to have the engine suspended from a hoist with the motor and tranny
mounts undone anyway, so it didn't really save any hassle, and created its
own problems with access.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149