[Mgs] How many miles should a generator brush set last?

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 27 01:45:47 MDT 2008

Test the dynamo/generator itself by removing the wiring from it and connecting
its F and D terminals together.  Connect a voltmeter on its 20v scale between
this link and ground.  Start the engine and *slowly* raise the revs.  The
voltage should rise towards 20v, it should do this by 1000rpm, and don't
exceed 20v.  If it does that the dynamo itself looks to be OK, so any
non-charging is down to wiring or control box.

  My car  (MGA with original generator/regulator) is clearly not
  charging the battery, so I need to investigate the charging system.