[Mgs] batteries: lead-acid vs Absorbed Glass Mat

Stuart MacMillan macgroup at comcast.net
Sun Aug 17 17:11:07 MDT 2008

AGM and Gel batteries have one advantage over flooded batteries, and that is
they will survive deep discharging (80%) many more times than a flooded
battery will.  So, they are best for applications where that is a frequent
occurrence.  They also need a higher charging voltage than most cars (ours
included) put out, at least 14.2v, and 13.6v is typical for most cars.
Without the higher voltage, they never fully recharge, and their life
shortens drastically.  You either have to kick up the output of your
alternator, or use a special charger designed for Gel and AGM once a week to
keep them alive.

IMHO, it's best just to stick with a flooded battery.

Stuart