[Mgs] batteries: lead-acid vs Absorbed Glass Mat

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 10:23:44 MDT 2008

Seems my battery has died. I've been having some issues, that I
chalked up to my recent re-wiring of the radio.
And then some short in the ignition switch and/or light switch.

I finally left it on the trickle charger over night, and it won't hold
a charge. That's ok, it's 5 years old. I got my use out of it.

The battery is an Interstate, and worked well for 5 years, even during
last years alternator failure. I actually think that the alternator
started going out the year before, which may have contributed.

It's not a group 26, so it's a little big, but goes in. No handle, but
I have a rope around it to help get it out. Still, I need to use a
little hydraulic jack to help.

Anyway, to the question. Is there a great advantage to going to a AGM
battery (Westco or Optima type)? Apart from size?  I think
James got one fairly recently. Do you like it?

Would a battery for a Miata work? Or is there a different size that's
better?

Paul.