[Mgs] tire pressures

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 08:39:56 MDT 2008

I've always used the book figures of 21/24, however many Americans seem to be
exponents of 30psi or so saying "that is what modern cars are".  That's so,
but as an experiment I recently tried mine at 30 and found it a bone-shaking
ride, although the turn-in was possibly a bit sharper.  I've now got them at
25/28, which seems to give a 'normal' ride and turn-in.  I shall keep them at
that as I find my tubes do loose air very slowly so the higher figure stops
them dropping below the recommended figure too quickly.  In 20 years with the
roadster and 13 with the V8 on recommended pressures I have never had problems
with uneven wear, or wear patterns associated with under-inflation, which is
something else others have claimed.

Experiment, and go with what suits you best.

  The rears look great at 25psi but at the recommended
  21psi in the front, the sidewalls are flexing far more
  than the rears and look as if there is a leak!