[Mgs] SU damper springs

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Apr 11 08:19:36 MDT 2008

The site opened fine this morning from Google, and again this afternoon from
the link in my email, although it did take a few moments to complete the
page.

There are indeed two red springs - one for what SU Burlen describes as
'normal' suction chambers and one for 'ball bearing' suction chambers.

>From the Parts catalogue the spring is AUC 4387 in all cases, i.e. HS and
HIF for the 4-cylinder MGB, i.e. the 'normal' suction chamber as described
on the Burlen site.

The resistance at the given distance may well equate to what it is
compressed to in the piston cover, but it doesn't matter how it is
compressed, it should have the given resistance at the given distance, i.e.
you can test it on a postal scale, which will be much easier than trying to
test it inside a piston cover, even if you have been able to confirm the
compressed distance.

Springs will indeed lose their resistance over time and heat cycles.  If you
test yours and it is close to the spec then it should be OK.  However any
spring can be tweaked to give a given resistance at a given distance, to be
sure you really need two weights at different distances.  A 'heavy' spring
could give much more resistance at a shorter distance, and a 'light' spring
much less, even though they both may give the correct weight at the given
distance.  If your car runs OK, i.e. you aren't chasing some really weird
problem that varies with throttle opening, and your spring meets the spec,
especially if it has the right paint colour, then I'd day your springs are
fine.