[Mgs] SU damper springs

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Fri Apr 11 07:35:52 MDT 2008

Hi Paul,
  Thanks for the Burlen site.  When tried this morning, the page would
not open, so I will try again later.
  Numerous articles on the rebuilding of our HS and HIS carbs refer to
the springs losing their strength over time and the difficulty of
identifying springs from which the painted identification has washed off.

   Des Hammill, in his How To Build and Power Tune SU Carbs, shows one
testing springs on a postal scale, but for the compressed height at which
one does the testing he refers to page 158 of the SU Reference Catalogue.
  Someone else implied that the test height is that of the spring
compressed at rest when assembled in the carb.  If that implied height is
a correct height at which to measure on the scale, but that one reference
is the only I have seen.
  Hammill's book says that most 1.5 inch SUs use a type A, red 4.5 oz
spring, while the HIF 1.5 inch use a type B spring, red 4.5 oz.  He then
goes on to discuss different needles and springs best suited for
modifications of the engine.
Bob